Tips on how to prevent a Halloween Fire
A fire can start when candles are too close to decorations or when long trailing costumes touch any lit candles. To make sure you have a spooky and safe Halloween, follow these tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
• When choosing a costume, stay away from long trailing fabric. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough so he or she can see out.
• Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.
• Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o-lanterns.
• Remember to keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
• If your children are going to Halloween parties at others’ homes, have them look for ways out of the home and plan how they would get out in an emergency.